Skip navigation


This was one of the first targets I tried when I started imaging, and it’s being a faint nebula it’s quite hard to capture. I tried it with an 8″ Newt but it works out a better target for a short focal length scope as it has a huge trail of dark dust behind it. This is my first RGB image with the new Atik and I’m quite pleased with the result. The Baader RGB set has less LP filtration than dedicated LP filters, and this could account for the huge amount of colour gradients I was getting, it took 3 hours to pull most of the crap out of this one. I need to look at how best to deal with this either through better calibration or processing.

I managed to get a hour of Hα but have left that as a separate image to concentrate on the RGB processing. I may try and integrate it later on.

Camera: Atik 383L+ Mono with 1.25″ Baader RGB, 7nm Hα
Scope: Skywatcher Equinox 80 with Televue TRF-2008
Mount: EQ6 with EQMOD
Guiding: Orion ST80 with QHY5
Capture Software: CCD Commander, Maxim DL
Processing Software: Deep Sky Stacker, PixInsight, Photoshop
Exposures: RGB: 4 x 15mins each (3 Hours), Ha: 3 x 1200 secs (1 Hour)
Dithering: 1 pixel per sub
Calibration: 20 x Darks, 50 x Bias

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: